Tuesday, October 6, 2015

The Water Project

Hello Everyone!

It's been quite a long time since I have created a post on my blog. I plan on remedying this, and starting with this new post about a project I am working on. Right now I call it "The Water Project." It's not exactly art related, but until I figure out how to better expose this, and get this information out there, I will blog about it here.

I am not sure how many of you out there realize, or have even heard about States in the US running out of potable water. I didn't really think this sort of thing would affect us. I witnessed water issues while I was deployed overseas in the Horn Africa, documenting humanitarian efforts provided by the US Military back in 2005. I realized then how important water is to a society, and life. Something we take for granted in developed countries and societies. And now, in 2015, I have seen significant changes in regards to accessible water. Drought is very prevalent here on the west coast, and has had significant impact on the environment, and our way of life. I didn't realize it until I stumbled upon Adler Lake on one of my many therapeutic drives in the countryside of Washington State, and then shortly after on a camping trip to the "gorge."



                           

And so now, I am going to do my best to document my findings the way the Marine Corps and College have trained me to do, and hopefully bring awareness to this rather important issue; because without water, we have no life. I plan on traveling to various parts of our country to document (video and photos) other reservoirs before the snow falls and then again in spring. I will research other databases provided by the government, and then create a better way to present the information I have in a professional manner. I am by no means a scientist, but I am a human being like everyone else, who needs fresh water to survive.

Here are some photos from Adler and Keechelus Lakes in WA State. Click images for full view:









For additional reading:

USGS Current Water Data for Washington- a US Government database I will be using throughout this project

8 States Running Out Of Water- USA Today September 7, 2015

No comments: